Monday, September 22, 2014

Lessons from the Brits Week 19 September 14th to September 20th


1. Soup (and blessings) cure all.
RINGGGGGG.  The Lodge where we now live has an intercom system where people wanting to come see you must first ring your room.  Our morning started early as Jerry was ringing us up at 7 AM.  He had coughed all night and Ardith had caught the cold and was up all night sick as well.  Bother Brown had mentioned he had alcohol so Jerry wanted that alcohol and a blessing straight away.  We called Brother Brown and he was willing on both accounts so he brought his alcohol and they headed over to help Jerry and Ardith. 
It was almost a zoo on figuring out church but Jerry and Ardith were too sick to go and LeeAnn Mulholland was too sick to go so we took Brian and went to East Grinstead where he could drop off his hire-a-car and went to church there.  It was a very nice meeting but Brad still didn’t feel that well and Brian had hurt his back so we left after Sacrament Meeting and headed home to a morning nap.  We got up and fixed dinner -- a beautiful piece of salmon and Jerry and Ardith came for dinner.  I finally won on her not doing the dishes but I literally had to hold them in my lap.  After dinner we walked around the temple grounds.  It was so pretty but Ardith thought the grounds looked a bit dry.
Come to find out, that is a very interesting story.  During the shutdown (2 weeks the temple is closed for cleaning and repairs) men came from Salt Lake to lay new carpet.  They pulled it out Monday morning and stretched it across the parking lot.  At the end of the day there was still carpet exposed.  All the locals told them they had to put it up or the rain would ruin it.  “Who do you think we are laying this carpet for?” they asked and left the carpet.  For 15 straight days it didn’t rain in London.  Amazing!
We came back to the flat but Jerry and Ardith didn’t want to sit in our tiny flat and wanted the TV room.  While we were there they saw someone ringing at our door.  Brother/Sister Brown were there with hot rolls and hot soup.  She had rushed home from church and cooked for our sick crew.   We sat and talked mostly about them raising 5 other children left to them in someone’s will along with their own 8.  But they also told us that Sister Freeman had gotten sick and flew home.  AUGGGG!  I can’t live without Sister Freeman.  She plans to have surgery and return so I will cross my fingers on that one. 
We took some of the soup for Jerry and Ardith and they took the rest to Mulhollands.  Jerry and Ardith went home and ate it and decided they were well enough to play Scrabble as that is a game they like.  So we played Scrabble and then they headed home to pack for the big trip home.


The Preston Temple

The flowers in front of the entrance.

To the side of the entrance.

Along the side wall.

An English maze.

The pond in front of the temple.

A water lily in bloom.

2.  Alone
All too soon it was time to pack the bags into the little Volvo again.  We only had one goof in getting to the airport and we were not sure where to drop them off but we had them there 3 hours early so we hope it was fine.  (They said it was forever getting through customs and they just made it.)  There were good-byes and then they were gone.  Ouch!
We wanted to go to the Tesco right by the airport so we put it in Sat Nav and she led us astray not once but twice.  We finally just drove home.  We had salmon leftovers and went to see if the temple needed help but we couldn’t get in.  We came home and tried for a nap but that was no good.  We cleaned up and I started writing for the blog. 
Another temple worker rang to come up.  He needed us to help him with sending his son money in America.  During the course of the conversation he said, “Ever meet an American with any tack?”  I cannot say as that went over that well with us but oh well – missed me – right President Erwin?
After supper Brown’s came over and we played games.  We played a little Rook, Lodge and they even played Toss Up which is Brad’s favorite game.  We had lots of fun.
On the Wall at Chester looking over the shops.

Found a used book store.  Our trip is complete, right LeeAnne?


I did not see this or we would own it!

3.  Back in the Saddle Again
Up and at it way too early.  We are morning shift this week and I am the one greeting all the women and getting them ready for the session.  I love it!  Really fun sisters today.  We also had 2 new patrons (people coming through for the first time) and I get to help them as well.  That was so fun.  Two young ladies getting married in a couple of weeks.  We also had a young man going through for the first time before he leaves on a mission.  Then another young man came from France that is going to Tahiti on his mission.  His mother was so sweet.  BUT  -- in all the excitement of the day the lift (elevator) broke and we had a real time trying to get everyone up the stairs to the sessions.  One mother and daughter said they were going to go if they had to crawl which is pretty close to what they did but the daughter then went into a seizure.  It was not a first for us with these two but we still had to deal with it.  Anyway, it was a very busy and quite fun day.
Home, supper, blog and Brad is reading us a Tom Clancy.
More from Burrowford.

A putting green at Burrowford.

Burrowford.

Some of Burrowford streets.

A perfect flower in Burrowford.

4.  Busy, Busy, Busy
I didn’t even have time to change into my white dress before they were calling that I was needed.  I never got a break as we were in steady work all day long.  I have a few of new friends; Sister Askew, Sister Rhodes, and Sister Slade.  They both brought a pile of family names and they will tell you about everyone of them.   They are so excited to do their ancestors temple work.  I was calling to see if anyone else wanted to do the 10:00 session and one little lady said “no, I am sealing my mum and dad.”  I told her that was wonderful but was only talking to a dressing locker.  Well, she came back from sealings in about an hour and she was laughing till she couldn’t stop.  She must have hugged me 10 times.  Her father was killed in the war and her mother had a nervous breakdown so they put her in a convent for the Nuns to raise.  She thought she would like to be a Nun but decided she wanted to be a mother more.  Now, she is a member of the church and has done her parents temple work and today she had them married for time and all eternity and she was sealed to them.  We have proxy’s fill in for the dead people and she grabbed the man that acted as her father and said, “Thanks Daddy.”  She laughed and cried till we all did.  And then she hugged some more.  I saw her in the cafeteria and she was still bouncing on the wall.  Families can be together forever!!!!  That means a lot to some people.  And by the way – some people would be me as well.
At lunch Brad said that he had just seen Mark Peterson, Dr. Peterson's son (an Dr. from Rexburg that we had known well) in the temple.  I had actually taught Mark in a tennis class at Ricks.  Then when I went back to work I saw Mark's daughter and I had also taught her in Women's Health at BYUI.  It was so fun to see her.
Home, best supper ever (Brad’s hamburger steaks) blog and book.  Then Mulholland’s called and wanted us to walk the perimeter with them.  On our walk the 4 of us went through a couple and when I turned to apologize for splitting them up I recognized Norm Gage and his wife who are from Rexburg (Sugar City) as well.  He taught at Ricks/BYUI with me as well and both Brad and I taught their son that went through my Health Education program.   We had a fun chat with them.  It was fun to have connections to home again.  After our walk Mulhollands had us over for yummy chocolate mousse for us as well.  GREAT DAY!   GREAT NIGHT!
A Scottish black house but this one has windows.
Shows the insides.

Weaving tools

They burn dirt called 'pete' or pete moss.

This one is painting itself.
 
5.  It’s not Federer, but the Swiss arrive.
First thing we did was check the news.  Scotland is staying a part of the union.  Close vote!
Again, I was working before I could even get dressed.  I have missed prayer meeting both days because we have patrons waiting for us.  I am just getting ready to send the session up stairs when 2 young ladies rush in.  Then 3 more.  I am holding up the session.  Then the matron comes and tells me there are 2 more.  Finally we get them all changed into their whites and the session leaves.  WOW!  A couple of hours later they have finished their session and I hear them talking and realize it is not English – they speak German (help Becca).  I should have realized that and given them translator headsets and all that.  Well, we talk and get us all organized for tomorrow so they will have headsets and language cards to help them.  I felt bad I didn’t do better there but there was no time.  I guess the accommodations center held them up and they nearly missed their session.
The Gage's came to the temple so I got to see them again.  Then a young girl came through and said her name was Gage.  I told her I had taught with her father-in-law at BYUI.  She grabbed me and said that I had taught her in Women's Health.  AMAZING!  I have had 3 students show up in one week.  Love it!
Meantime, Sister Rhodes is all nervous about become a temple worker and I am trying to calm her down.  Sister Askew is so fun – we dropped one of her family cards and I said it had gone askew.  She loved that.  Sister Slade and I are having a great time and more than one tear has been shed as she does her families temple work.  Also met a Sister Taylor that I have become fast friends with as well.  Her niece is in one of the temple video's so I will remember her forever as they have the same eyes.
Really busy all day long and I just loved it.  Home, supper, blog and book.


 
 
 A dotted Scottish house.

A loch.

They love beauty.

6.  Not so much
Okay, today was busy as well but it didn’t go as well.  All my Swiss ladies came and I thought I was organized for them but it still took time getting things to the right person.  I had others waiting as well and I made a goof on a family card.  I took it down to the office to get it corrected and I mentioned that I was just so busy helping the Swiss ladies and the office worker said, “It could have been worse.  They could have been Americans.”  I have no idea why that hurt so badly but I just turned and said, “May I just go home where someone likes me.”  She asked if she should make a booking and I said yes and walked out.  I went back to my little area sat down and just let the tears flow.  For some reason I wanted a mother who would always say something nice to me.  She has now been gone for 39 years.  Then I thought of Janet and if I could just go have fun with Janet.   The tears just flowed.  A while later I had to go to the office again and the lady said that after I had left my husband came in and they all thought I had sent him to sort them out.  I hadn’t but it was funny they worried.
Then I got back to work.  For some reason it was just an awful day.  I was busy but just doing the same thing over and over till me head wanted to explode.    (The lead mare was back running things)
We came home, had a nice dinner, blog, blog, blog and book, book, book and I exploded and vented a few minutes and then I was better.  I did the dishes after 10 and went to bed.
Brad's bird picture.

A headless bird.

7.  Record Setting Day
We need to be at the temple at 7:15 on Saturday and we were there with bells on.  Things were going great.  I got my Swiss/Germans off with all the right equipment.  One lady had come the day before and I said, “Hello Sister Norris.”  She looked at me so funny.  I asked what her name was and she looked so shocked.  I told her I had thought that she was Sister Norris.  “Oh, I am,” she said and we started to laugh.  All day long as she walked by we would say ‘Sister Norris’ and laugh.
Five sessions had gone up and I was doing pretty well.  The next session was for 11:15 when I suddenly looked down at my watch and it was 10:45 and the session was full.  I turned around and had a queue (line) out the door, down around the locker room and everyone saying they had to be in this one.  Everyone was trying to get a grip.  There were 3 new patrons on the shift and their family members/friends wanted to be with them.  Wives said their husbands were in there and they needed to be.  They kept telling me no more but more were persisting.  Then a man fell down the stairs.  I had 7 Germans, 1 Hungarian and 1 Italian and a few second timers that wanted help and a lady with her dress on backwards (yep—I help that as well and zip up a lot of dresses to boot).  The queue kept growing.  Another full bus arrived.  Finally they took the 11:15 up rather early and I had the next session filled in 10 minutes with another queue.  It was a zoo.  I check the queue and 3 sisters yell, “There she is.  There is that lady we like.”  It was a trio that I always push them closer together because they are joined at the hip.  They are so much fun. 
Finally by the 12:45 or 4 sessions later we finally got a grip and had things under control.  They said the whole temple was the same way – sealing and baptistery were overflowing as well.  The kitchen and the laundry were swamped.  I really didn’t have that far to move but my feet were killing me.  They told me I could leave 7 minutes early and I asked no questions – I left.  But when I left I took my wonderful Lindor candy bar – a gift  from my Swiss ladies and some mentos – a gift from Sister Palmer - one of the workers.  It was a great day.
We thought we would go out to eat but Mulholland’s couldn’t and we decided we were too tired.  We fixed left over’s.  Brad finished the book and immediately put on ‘The Man that Shot Liberty Valance.’  I finally finished the blog.  We had a cup of hot chocolate and went to bed.  We couldn’t sleep but at least we were lying still so hopefully our bodies and our poor little feet were getting some rest.

Ben Nevis

Castle from afar.

Keeper of the Castle.  Not sure the tie matches?

So we are back in the saddle and doing our thing again.  For the most part it was a wonderful week.  I am so happy with all my new friends.  I love seeing all the faces – the brand new patrons, patrons I haven’t met before and the returns.  I love being there to greet them and help them get ready for the wonderful experience of doing ordinances in the temple. 
Love comes from kindness,
It is only a problem if you can’t get over it,
Our love,
The Parkinson’s

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment