Saturday, June 21, 2014

Lessons from the Brits Week 5 June 8th to the 14th, 2014

Does the world get bigger or smaller?  I just have to wonder at times how you can be so far away from nearly everything you hold dear and still feel like you are among such dear friends.  It is truly amazing how this great big world of our gets so small in many ways.  I seemed to learn that time and again this week.

Words:
Duck’s Guts                        Something really, really good or best of the best.  (Actually Australian)
Top of the Wazzer             Very Best (Also Australian)
Gagee                                   Crow (actually Navajo, but it was fun)
Patch on it                           Didn’t compare, wasn’t as good
fluff                                       mistake

1.   Prayers and Round Abouts or When is a left turn a right turn?
We made it up and got ourselves all ready for this great drive to church.  We decided we needed a good prayer for this experience.  Brad is at the wheel on the wrong side and Brian Mulholland is driving shot gun.  Off we go.  Really it went very well.  There are about 10 or more round abouts and that can drive a person crazy trying to figure out which exist to take.  You signal right going around a left round about until you find the exit you want at which time you need to signal left and shift and maybe fix your hair all at the same time with the wrong hand.  We made it!!!  Everyone was very impressed.
Church was great and then we are home.  We were all mixed up first on the movie we thought was the night before and wasn’t and then on the ‘hi and bye’ that we thought was that day and wasn’t.  Mulholland's asked us to dinner again for a wonderful pork roast and carrots.  So good. 
When we were walking home there was this Australian bloke resting on the bench.  The Ibbotson’s have come to us from the Perth Temple where he served in the temple presidency.  They were born in England and wanted to return for a while.  They are just here – not on a mission – but working in the temple as much as they can.  He and Brad talked horsed for hours or a very long time.  We walked around the temple grounds and met a darling family from France with 3 kids.  So cute!
We tried to call but didn’t get through so just headed to bed.
Brian Mulholland and Brad -- who looks the calmest?
From the back seat it wasn't bad :).
 
2. Solo – Short Hair and Blogs
We decided we had all the groceries we needed and we were ready to solo.  We drove over to Lingfield to try to find the tennis courts.  Our driving was fine but we surely couldn’t take directions about round abouts.  ‘The first round about take the second and the second take the first.’  We missed something but saw a lot of the town.  We decided to go to the service station for directions.  We couldn’t find a place to park so decided we would just put gas (diesel) in.  Well, we find the gas tank but cannot open it.  We are punching every gadget on the dashboard.  We read and reread the owner’s manual.  Finally we find refueling instead of fuel where we have been looking and it says to push on the back of it.  Sure enough, 15 minutes later we could open our gas tank and put in fuel.  We never did get to the courts but found a gorgeous race track and golf course.   They said the courts were for members only but Crawley had some free ones.  We were only 2 blocks away but decided to go home. 
We exercised and then I cut Brad’s hair.  I think I did pretty good job with our new chippers from Testco.  Then I called Sister Brown and she helped me set up my blog.  Brad came down and told me supper was ready and boy was it ever!  I thought I had bought some salmon but had picked up Loch Trout instead.  It was the best fish I have ever eaten.  We took a picture of Brad eating the Lock Nest Monster for his grandkids.  The rest of the night I worked on emailing and blogging and had great fun.  I am catching up.  Oh and I did the wash at 40 degrees.
Grandpa eats the Loch Nest Monster!
3.  Instant Love
We are back on the early shift and our assignment asked us to be there even earlier so we made it right on time – or 35 minutes early.  Oh well, Brad was happy as he hates to be late.  I was standing in the locker room where the patrons (people attending the temple) come in to change into their white clothes.  A woman walked in and I said welcome and reached out my arm.  She grabbed my arm, laid her head on my shoulder and just started to cry.  “I am so glad to be here.  I need to be here.  I have so many decisions in my life.  I want to be here.”  It was wonderful.  The day went very well.  Many times I will ask them their name.  “Sister Holt.”  Oh, we have a lot of Holts in Idaho where I am from.  “I am from Idaho!”  Who are your parents ?  “Well, I am a DaBell…..”  You are Jennifer South’s sister!  She is my next door neighbor.  HUGS!  It was such a riot.  They are here for just a few days setting up home to move over.  They felt a need to come to the temple and we connected first thing!
After our temple shift I started in on our blog and emails.  I tried to call Judy Hood but she was busy so I emailed Kathy Webb, President Clark’s (BYUI President) secretary and she sent me the instructions on how to set up a distribution list.  It worked and I started sending out emails.  Thanks Kathy!  So much fun.  Blog done for 2 weeks and 2 emails sent as well.  Accomplishment.
4.  Beams and Lost to the world again!
It does seem early to be to the temple by 8 AM but we are now making it only 30 minutes early.  It was another very lovely day at the temple.  We had a wedding with the cutest woman in the world from Thailand marrying a man from the Isle of Madeira (Wood).  That woman was so excited I didn’t think we could hold her together.  She just beamed.  She cried big happy tears nearly the whole day and had the entire shift in tears as well.  I was so happy for her!  The Isle of Madeira speaks Portuguese but her husband was as emotional as she was and couldn’t open his mouth for fear of crying.  What a special, special day!
After our shift we went to the temple just for us so that was very nice.  We made it home and fixed our new found chicken tenders from Costco and thought we were in heaven.  Then we turned on the internet to find out that we had run out.  Sadness indeed.  We will buy a better program next time.  The man told us this was just a fix that we could top off but we couldn’t top it off so we will try again soon. 
5.  An International Temple.
We kept hearing that the London Temple is one of 4 international temples.  We didn’t understand that but we are getting better at it.  The instruction session can be conducted in 80 languages.  When a patron comes in we need to find out what language they need and then make sure we get them the things they need for their own language.  Amazing!  This week seems to be our most diversified as to nationalities.  Brad and I tried to remember every country we have worked with but I know we will miss a few:
England, France, Belgium, Flanders, Netherlands, France (lots), Portugal, Bulgaria, Romania, Isle of Madeira, Italy, Kuwait, Malta, South Africa, India, Thailand, China, New Caledonia, Mexico, Brazil and the United States.  And for the United States we have California, lots in Utah, Rigby, Idaho and Preston, Idaho, Nashville, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania.  A young man from Pennsylvania received his mission call while he and his family were traveling in England so they took him through the England Temple for his first time. 
 I again asked a lady her name and she said ‘Hartvigsen.’  No Way! I exclaim.  Some of best friends and tennis players are Hartvigsen’s.  They were staying at the accommodations center so we chatted last night.  So fun.  I am also bonded to a couple from Brittany and New Caledonia, the Bertola’s.  They come once a year to spend a week at the temple.  MAN, there are sooooo many great people in this world!
We had Mulholland’s over to our huge dining room for hot dogs again.  Then they stayed to play Toss Up and we had so much fun. 

Our first game!
The Hartvigsen's -- Joshua and Melissa
 
6. Friday the 13th or Birds vs Gatwick
About 2 AM I woke up and felt like I need a potty break.  About 3:30 AM I really needed a potty break.  By 4 AM I knew this was not good.  I didn’t feel sick but by know I am almost dizzy.  I lay there all night and tried to figure out what I had done wrong with the meal.  I was just sick that I had made our friends sick as well.  I kept waiting for Brad to join in the fun but he didn’t seem interested.  I kept asking him to call Brian and LeeAnn and see if they were sick but he wouldn’t.  I dreamed Brian was really sick and LeeAnn was laughing about it.  Then I had an awful, stupid dream.  I didn’t want to sleep anymore so I just laid there and listened to the birds.  Amazing!  We have these very interesting birds that just sing to the top of their lungs from about 4:30 to 6:00 AM.  Then Gatwick starts taking off and Friday seems to be their favorite day.  Zoom, Zoom, Zoom over and over again.  I decided the birds get up early so they don’t have to compete with Gatwick.  Flying friends of different feathers getting along in their own special way.
 Finally the alarm went off.  I made Brad call and they were not sick.  That helped me a little.  We were not 30 minutes early but I made it.  I said I was good for a sitter for the day and stayed away best I could.  I made it.  I came home and slept for about 2 hours.   I felt much better.  We ate a frozen pizza and then went down to the basement for internet and calls. We talked with our friends of the week which was great. 


The Bertola's -- Erik & Alina, from Brittany, France and New Caledonia.  
The first time I saw her we were in the same white outfit. 
She said, 'Twins'.  I poked my little pot belly out to match
her 7 month PG and said, 'for sure.'  We were bonded.
(Don't they just have a glow about them?)
7.  Calls and Birthday Dinners
We had to be even earlier this morning but I felt great so it was okay.  It was a very slow Saturday at the temple but a very nice day.  One of the ladies had really been working on genealogy and had lots of Porter names.  I told her our good friends from Idaho were Porter’s which really excited her.  I also saw the name Beesley so I figured it was an omen that I needed to call Janet.  After our shift I ran to the basement and called her and begged her to pick up because this strange number was not a telemarketer.  She did and we talked for an hour and I was in heaven again.
We called Mulholland’s and they said they were just leaving.  Brad said good, he would get the car ready.  We took them to – of all things a Western BBQ restaurant in England.  It was his 66th birthday.  We had wings and ribs and a bunch of other stuff.  It was really pretty good.  Our first official restaurant but not a very English one.   It was funny to see all the waitresses dressed in cowgirl stuff and speaking with an English accent.  On the way home the men stopped to watch a bit of cricket but the women stayed in the car.  One other episode on the way home was that Brad pulled out into the right lane which is the wrong land and then had to swerve into the left lane which is the right lane and ran a red light doing so.  There were a few screams in the back seat.  We lived!  Then we had brownies and ice cream at their (Mulholland’s) house.  Next was the movie and they had baked him a chocolate cake over there as well.  I was stuffed.  The movie was Narnia which I love so it was a good night.
 

Brian & LeeAnn Mulholland with the Western Menu.

Brian eats his ribs.  I think LeeAnn was having a bite as well.

Brad holding up our Hoof Wipes. 
The table of 4 with little food left.
And week 5 is in the history books.  Things are moving right along.  We passed the official 1 month mark so we are now 1/18th finished.  We got an email from Brittan, our grandson, and he is 1/4th finished.  He is serving in Sidney, Nebraska; the original home of Cabela’s.
There was not any great excitement but certainly a lot of connections that seemed almost unreal. I love the phrase ‘Each Life that Touches Ours for Good.’  Wouldn’t that be a great song?  Ha ha – Thanks Karen.  Let me just review some of the connections since leaving on this mission:
Karen – Diana’s Sister                                                                    Hugs and Love
Wilson’s – our kids are best friends in Las Vegas                     Hugs and Love
Brown’s – we are going to London with you                            Hugs and Love
President Johnson – my thanks to you for coming                 Hugs and Love
All the temple staff – you live by Anderson’s                          Hugs and Love
Joyce Osborn – Florence Bowman is my dear friend             Hugs and Love
Holt, Dabell – your sister is my next door neighbor               Hugs and Love
Hartvigsen – our friends in Rexburg                                         Hugs and Love
Harrop – that was my Bishop in LaBelle                                  Hugs and Love
McClellan – I use to be the Bishop in LaBelle                        Hugs and Love
Anderson’s (Tom and Joan) – we knew Rex & Konda         Hugs and Love
and the list goes on and on.  The dear lady from France that came to hug me good bye because I had been kind to her.  The threesome from England that came for the week and we are now eternally bonded.  Our couple and three children from Brittany, France.  And what is the greatest part of all this.  Next week the list will even be bigger.  I find it interesting how soon complete strangers become such good friends and we all find so many connections.  This great big world of ours is pretty small indeed. 
May God Bless and Keep You,
God Lives,
Love much,
E/S Parkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment