Thursday, February 5, 2015

Lessons from the Brits Week 29 November 23rd to November 29th


I guess my life is basically getting out of control because I literally forgot to write last week.  Without internet, I really can’t do much to publish them, so I guess I am just plain forgetting where I am at.  My bad!
LIE
Eggs!  You have 2 choices of eggs in England – free range brown eggs or regular brown eggs.  We have never seen a white egg.  One of the grandchildren asked why and Brad had quite the answer.  If you want to know, email him!


1.  Soft Peppermint Sticks
Sunday’s are just plain hard because Saturday’s are our busiest day which basically drains us.  We made it up and to church but they were waiting for us at the car.  We had a simple dinner and fell sound asleep.  I was asked to bring a treat to the ‘Hi and Bye’ and since we slept so long I really didn’t have the time to make it like I wanted.  All I made was rice crispy treats but I wanted to put crushed peppermint sticks and drizzle chocolate on top but I couldn’t crush the peppermint sticks.  They were as soft as could be.  I ended up cutting them with scissors which about killed my hands so I didn’t have time to put on the chocolate.  Then I cut them horribly but at least I tried.
The Garrett’s gave their ‘Hi’ and then the Masih’s, the Strong’s and the Littlefield’s gave their ‘Bye.’  It was a nice evening and there were so many treats no one cared about mine.




The Masih's 

The Stong's


The Littlefield's (also served on the Rez)
2. Never Mind!
I had volunteered to cook a turkey.  We got up early and headed over to the kitchen with all my fixings.  I got the turkey washed, seasoned and in its bag.  Then I went home and cooked my cream corn.  We went back over and made sure the potato water would be saved for the gravy.  I thought I was making the turkey gravy for my turkey only, but since the other women didn’t make gravy they told me to do it all.  We poured all the drippings into one pan with the water and all.  The signs had worn off the hob (cook top) and we couldn’t even tell for sure which hot plate we were heating or whether we were putting it on low or high.  We worked forever and it never boiled.  Finally I put it in 2 pans and still nothing.  I cleared off another hub that had markings and we started over.  Finally it boils and I put in all the thickening I have but it never boils again.  Finally I see that they turned the hot plates off not down like I asked.  I put it back on high and sometime here I should have realized I didn’t have near enough flour to make enough thickening for three turkeys.  The other ladies said they had these flakes you put in but they were flavored and the taste was great without it.   I add some – more than they said and nothing.  I have the hotplates on high.  Everyone is yelling for us to come for the Thanksgiving prayer.  They won’t start without us so finally I run out.  Of course Brad is in the furthest table from the kitchen.  It is a wonderful treat (but not when you have hot plates on high) and all the Brits stand up and sing the ‘Star Spangled Banner’ for us.  Most touching!  Then they ask President Johnson to give the prayer and blessing.  He does not pray in haste and I am just squeezing Brad’s hand to pieces because I swear I can hear my pots exploding on the stove so I jump up and run like a banji all the way across the room; right by President Johnson who is praying and into the kitchen.  They were boiling to the tops but okay but not a bit of thickness to them.  I add more of that stuff and still nothing.  Finally we just pour it in 3 bowls and whisk it  away.  I am nearly in tears.  All is well as there is a huge blockade in front of the kitchen where the tables are set up so I couldn’t get out if I wanted to.  I try to get control and out we go.  The gravy is horrid but they loved (I mean LOVED) the cream corn. 
So we have a nice meal which had considerable clean up.  Brad went to the Dr and didn’t make it back till all was done.  We headed home to relax.  The gravy was relived a few times and the Brits said I am to just say ‘never mind’ and forget it.  Betty Crocker even said she was going to write a poem about me and my gravy.



The only man in the kitchen!

Sister Adler taking on a turkey leg.  Sister Bustamonte in foreground.
 Sister Strong watching in back.

3.  Another day in Brad Parkinson’s life.
It all seemed too soon today but we made it up and to the temple early in the morn.  Our dear friend, Yvonne Blake, was really suffering from vertigo so she went home early.  We came home and put on a pot of soup and had them over.  They had missed the big dinner and my prayer run so I explained it all to them.   Brad said he had already basically forgotten it as it was ‘just another day in the life of Brad Parkinson.’  They laughed and I think I did as well.  

L-R, Brother-Sister Strong, Sister-Brother Littlefield, Brother-Sister Curley.
 
 
L-R, Sister Smith, Sister Akehurst, Sister Adler, Sister George, Sister Powell, Sister Bustamonte.

4.  Just normal
Today was just a normal day that went rather well.   Well timed! 
I was in the canteen (cafeteria) and walked over to say hello to Ben and Penny (laundry) and Brother Adkin’s (temple recorder).  They wanted to hear about the turkey gravy so I go through the story on how I am running like a mad woman past President Johnson saying a prayer.  All the sudden President Johnson walks up behind us.  (I see him coming but Brother Adkin’s has his back to him.)  I do this crazy smile with my teeth gritted together and say ‘he is right behind you.’  Brother Adkin’s just said – in perfect timing – ‘how was your broccoli?’  It came out of nowhere and the 3 of us just burst into hysterical laughter.  President Johnson was a bit confused but somehow a conversation went on and he has never mentioned me running out during his prayer. 
After President left Brother Adkin’s said maybe he didn’t even notice.  I then got up and showed what I did and he said – ‘He noticed!’  Oh my!



L-R, Brother-Sister Rayton, Brother-Sister Callaghan, Sister-Brother McClellan.

L-R, Brother-Sister Davis, Brother-Sister Masih, Sister-President Crossland.

5.  The lack of Thanksgiving
Up and at it with not a hint of celebration.  It truly was a very hard day.  We did have one cute event as one of the Brit’s, Sister Docherty, made little pumpkin pies for all of us.  Sweet!
The only way to drown your troubles (when you do not drink alcohol) is to work so after going shopping I rushed home to make a pumpkin pie and a buttermilk pie.  We had Orton’s, Callaghan’s, and President (actually he didn’t come as he came down with a cold) and Sister Crossland over for hot pie.  They loved it so that made me feel a bit better.



L-R, Brother-Sister Garrett, Brother-Sister Banks, Sister-Brother Orton.

L-R, Sister-Brother Walters, Brother-Sister Whitehouse, Sister-Brother Crocker.

6.  I am going to be there!
Today was the hardest of all.  Olivia Staten (Katie’s) and Kaiya Marie Parkinson (Eric’s) were baptized in Mountain Home, Idaho, at 3:00 PM which is 10:00 PM our time.  We loaded up our ipads and headed to the dungeon.  We called just as they were posing for pictures in the white baptismal clothing.  They gave the phone to Neil and he asked when they should call back.  NOT!  No call back!  I am watching this baptism.  So Neil takes the ipad phone in and sets it on the back table near a tissue box.  We can see and hear pretty well.  They have an opening song and pray and then Neil stands up to speak and all the sudden Gus (sitting on the front row) turns around and waves at us.  The whole audience turned around but I don’t know if they saw us.  Then this little boy gets up to get a tissue and as he does he looks down and sees us.  “Dad, look at this!  Dad come look at this.”  He finally takes the tissue to his parents and then rushes back to see if we are still there.  He gives us about 3 big blows to see if he can blow us away.  Really funny.
Anyhoo, we got to hear the talks and see the baptism and the confirmations.  We couldn’t hear the confirmation prayers and blessings so well, but we were there and Grandma and Grandpa were thrilled. 
When we got home we were higher than kites so we read forever realizing we start at 7:30 AM tomorrow, we finally gave up and went to sleep around 1:00 AM.

Olivia and Daddy (Ryan) Staten

Kaiya Marie and Daddy (Eric) Parkinson



 





















Kaiya Marie and Eric

7.  Early celebrations
We were still pretty excited about our baptisms and had to tell everyone how fun it was so Saturday started well.  I am afraid it was not a very busy day and that breaks my heart.  I love it when the temple is just stuffed with people. 
We did have one fun experience as the French brought 80 sisters and 30 men for the 12:15 PM session.  It is great fun getting everyone set up with translators and all and basically I love my French friends.  That made it a very good day.
We went home and took a bit of a nap and then Mulholland’s had us over to fajita’s.  They were wonderful.  It was my early birthday dinner!  We had a wonderful evening.  Home, book, bed.

And the week is a goner.  Wow; a few highs and one of my most embarrassing experiences of my life.  We were extremely touched at how the Brits got together several times and learned “The Star Spangled Banner” to honor us.  Thank You!  We had some nice meals and pies with wonderful friends.  Yes, I wanted to be home – desperately!  I love to see my family and hear my grandchildren playing!  I wanted to be at the baptisms which in my own way I was.  So, life goes on.  Never Mind!

Be Thankful, what need I say more?

Hug someone every day!

Our Love,

The Parkinson's

 
The Parkinson’s

No comments:

Post a Comment