Friday, February 6, 2015

Lessons from the Brits Week 32 December 14th to December 20th


Goodness!  We are dropping like flies.  Temple ordinances workers that is.  First Brother Rogers went down with a huge swollen leg they are calling cellulitis.  He actually called the ambulance Monday, then sang twice at different Christmas parties, Tuesday went to Dr. and was given an antibiotic and told to stay down, and by Friday was taken hospital.  Sister McClellan fell while on a chair Thursday and wouldn’t go to the Dr. until the next day when she had an appointment and found she had a broken wrist, cracked ribs and a sprained thumb.  Saturday Sister Garrett looked over to see the Roger’s grandchildren running to their grandma (Sister Roger’s) and fell flat on her face cutting her chin badly and scrapping her nose.  We are trying to be a little more careful.

LIE
Brad has an interesting story here.  I think most Americans would have a great love and pride for their country.  As American’s in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we have a belief that America is the chosen land of freedom where our forefather’s were inspired to write the declaration of Independence and the constitution. It has been fun for us to see the pride the British have in their country.  The other day a man was talking to Brad and telling him how England was the greatest nation in the world.  Brad told him it was wonderful that he was such a patriot.  The man argued several times with Brad about how England was/is the greatest above all other countries.  Brad never did a thing but tell him how wonderful it was that he was such a patriot.  Good call, Brad!

1.
Sunday has always been such a nice day of change but after 5 days in the temple it isn’t as anticipated as it used to be.  I finally made it up and got a bit ready but not so good.  Brad browned a roast and I put potatoes and onions and soup in for dinner.  Off to church which was nice.  The roast looked good and a bit big so Brad called and invited Orton’s over.  We had a nice tea (I hope you all know that is English for dinner) and then we did get a nap.
That evening there was a black musical group that came and sang gospel style hymns.  They were great.  There was 1 young man (fabulous singer and pianist) and about 10 women.  Boy, did that room rock.  We did applaud as it was fitting.  Great program.
Afterwards we headed to the dungeon where we talked to three of our kids.  Nice!
The entire group.  So fun!

Male soloist, very good!
2. Thank-You Dinner
We got up a bit later and got ready to go to Costco with Mulholland’s.  We loaded up on tons of meat and candy bars to give away so it was a bit of an expensive trip.  Brad decided not to look.
At 3 PM we went to the Christmas Dinner and Devotional that they temple presidency prepared for us.  We didn’t do a thing and they had gammon (ham), funeral potatoes, tossed salad, mince pies, and lemon tarts for us.  One thing Brad will never get use to is their sparkling drinks over here.  He does not like them so I get to drink all of his.
After dinner we went to President Johnson’s house where he played the guitar and sang for us.  He had actually planned to make a career of it but his father talked him out of it.  It was great and we got to see a new side of him.  The whole presidency and their wives read us Christmas traditions and the story of the Christmas truce during World War I.  Lovely.  Then we sang Christmas Carols.  Really fun night.
President/Sister Johnson's home.

President Johnson sang and played his guitar for us!
He actually was offered a musical contract but his father talked him out of it.

The presidency reading us a Christmas book.

3. 
Today was a bit calmer.  We got up and did the ordinary household wash, iron, clean and haircut. We did a little exercise, fixed lunch and headed to the temple.  It was a good day at the temple.  Late shift again but Brad went over 2 hours early to help with the young missionaries again.  That is so fun to see all those youth doing what they should be doing.  After our shift Brad went over to give a blessing to Brother Roger’s.  His leg is swollen and bright red.  We think he should be in hospital.
We are reading Dan Brown’s Inferno and we read later than we should have.  We need more sleep.
I am a bit sad that I didn't take a photo of our cute Christmas décor.
This is a pic of our Christmas tree alight at 4 AM to guide me to my migraine pills.

4. 
Another fine day.  We did a little exercise and then I made soup to take to Roger’s.  Betty Crocker came over while I finished it and we went over together.  Man, that leg looks bad.  It probably didn’t help that Sister Roger’s crown fell off and was 150 pounds to fix it.
The temple was good and we made it home to go over to the dungeon so we could do a bit of Christmas shopping.  That was a bit frustrating but we got a bit sorted.
Home, book, bed.

5.
Today we went shopping but only for bread and veggies.  The van wasn’t there as it was helping with the missionaries who are doing their last session today.  We asked if anyone wanted to go with us and Sister Freeman (just returned) and Sister Orton wanted to go.  As they were getting in the car, Sister Mulholland came running to tell me to help Sister Freeman with her bags as she had just had surgery and would need help.  Honestly, that woman doesn’t think I have a brain.
It was a fun shopping day and then home to lunch.  We just had a bunch of leftovers but I liked it.  Brad went early again to help with the missionaries.  Today, Elder Erickson is coming.  He is Val Erickson’s grandson.  (Val is one of Brad’s dearest friends.)  I went over to the dinner to get his picture but he wasn’t out of the temple early enough for me to stay.  I gave my ipad to Elder Blair (President Hinckley’s great-grandson) and told him to take pictures and rushed off.
It was a good day at the temple so I was happy coming home.  I walked over to get my ipad and suddenly realized I hadn’t given them my password so there would be no pictures.   WRONG!  Those clever young men (including the Prophet’s grandson) broke right into my ipad and got me some great pictures and videos.  Well done!!  Just brilliant.
It was back to the dungeon and a bit more done.  I miss my internet!!!!!
Home, book bed, but NO sleep.  My feet hurt so bad.  I have soaked them in ice water and rubbed them on frozen bottles.  I changed shoes to my slippers this week so I can curl up my feet when I am standing.  I took some ibuprofen and everything but my feet ached half the night.

Our Christmas penguin with our persimmon.  Yummmm!

6. 
Did I mention that we spent a lot of money at Costco on Monday?  Well then, how about we go right back with Blake’s to show them Costco.  We bought just a couple of things and they learned about the store and then we came right home.  It was a very pleasant drive as Mark drove but Yvonne jumped a couple of times even with his driving.  I thought it was lovely!
We had an interview with President Erwin which was nice but he sure wants to help solve everything before we can get our concerns out.  It is more than obvious that he cares.  He and his wife are very nice people.
The temple was a good day but Friday is our long night and I felt it.  My last assignment was to be in the Celestial Room.  Lovely.  Sister Crossland came up to replace me and I just love her.  We had a fun chat.
Home, book, ibuprofen and bed.  Much better sleep.

7. 
I would love to think that I slept in but it was pretty early getting up and ready.  The temple was a very good day and my little sore feet carried me from top to bottom as I did everything from baptistery to the Celestial Room.  There was a bit of a confusion at the end of the day as Brad said we were told to go home and I thought I had one more assignment but he told me they said it was covered.   I went home and they needed me bad.  They found someone else but I sure felt bad; it had been a really good day till then.
There was a big dinner at Toby’s Carvery but Brad didn’t want to go and spend all the money for something he doesn’t like that much.  (They had a lovely Christmas Dinner menu but he just wasn’t in the mood.)  Somehow Davis’ found out that we weren’t going and ask us to come to their dinner.  I really felt like they were trapped and had to ask us but they were very gracious and had us down for a pot luck.  We took creamed corn.  They had roast, lamb, roast potatoes, parsnips, brussel sprouts, carrots, our corn, gravy and peaches and cream.  We started with crackers and all told our joke.  We all wore our hats and had a great time.  Afterwards, we watched some you tubes that were great. 
We then headed to the dungeon where I worked on my Christmas Cards.    We also talked to Neil and Katie and got to see the puppies again.  Late that night, we finally headed home, read till we dropped and ended our week in sweet slumber.
Brad, me, Sister Smith, Sister Bustamonte and Sister Davis.
Not pictured are Sister Adler, Sister Marsh and Brother Davis.
We are all in our cracker hats.
 

So, week 32 has ended as well.  If I were Becca, I would say 8 months has passed but we have 22 more days till that is true.  Still, time is flying.  We are very excited that the Christmas holiday season is here.  We surely miss home but they are working overtime here to make sure we are all happy and bright.  We love the cards and the chocolate.    Thanks Brits, it has been just lovely. 
Be of good cheer,
Drink water,
Our love,
The Parkinson's

No comments:

Post a Comment