Sunday, February 8, 2015

Lessons from the Brits Week 38 January 25th to January 31st

Time is just rolling along and I am so behind that I cannot keep up with yesterday.  I must get a project or two accomplished as this is starting to wear me down.  When does life get easy and restful?

LIE
Spoons: You have 2 choices – huge or bitty.  At the canteen (cafeteria) they have some large round spoons but at the flat we just have a large spoon like an American serving spoon and a tiny spoon.  The tiny spoon is set across the top of your plate for a dessert spoon.
 
 
1.   With Love :)
We went to church at East Grindstead again this week and it was very nice.  Brother McClellan taught the Sunday School lesson and Sister McClellan taught the Relief Society lesson.  They had double duty but did very well.
We had artichoke chicken and took the afternoon off. A nap was top priority!  After a lovely snooze we got up and went to see what was on BYUtv.  As I opened the door I noticed an envelope all taped up with our Lodge # on the outside.  I came in and carefully cut it open because I had a feeling.  Inside was a folded up sheet of paper that when it was opened up said, ‘With Love,’ and had £50 inside it.  Every emotion burst.  We were embarrassed, very touched, and completely confused.  We have no idea who but someone felt very sorry for us loosing so much money to the cruise line.
We were able to talk to all 4 children so life was good.  We also called Kelly Munns (Stoddard), the girl that saved our children from the Teton Dam Flood.  We have been asked to do the fireside next Sunday and tell our story so I wanted a picture of her to show in the presentation.  It was really fun to talk to Kelly and her mother again.  We owe them a great deal!!!


2.  Parliament and 5 Guys!
Brother Davis had planned a tour of Parliament for us with a MP (Member of Parliament) tour guide.  His name was Henry Smith and believe it or not, he is married to a Ricks whose great-great grandfather started Ricks College.  We do not believe they are members of the church but we will follow up on that with our family ties.
Anyway, we got up and headed out at 9 AM, caught the train and headed to London.  Henry met us at Parliament and gave us a 1 hour tour that lasted 2 and ½ hours.  We went through everything including their chapel, the House of Commons and the House of Lords.  Great time.
After the tour we were on our own but we followed Brother Davis to 5 Guys.  Yesseryee!  They have a 5 Guys in London and it was wonderful.  It was about a 20 minute walk from Parliament and I definitely can find my way back.  Mulholland’s went with us as well.  Then we walked back and took Mulholland’s through Westminster Abbey.  We have been there once but it was still a thrill to us.  Then we caught the train and headed home.  Very fun day!

Brad and Bob show off their new hats at the train station.

Big Ben is actually the bell inside but we never tire of
seeing the tower clock and listening to the chime.


Our group waiting for the chimes.
3.  The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Late shift which was just fine.  I did the wash and we did a bit of exercise.  Then it was the temple which was a very nice day.  Brad and I are on line this week and we had a very nice time.
When we got home we opened the email and saw that Jerry had read the book we bought him for Christmas.  He loved it!  We had to call him and share stories from the book.  If you are in the mood for the craziest read ever: The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared is a must!!!!



Henry Smith, our MP tour guide, who is married to a Ricks.



Going inside Parliament. 

4.  Downton Abbey 
Today we started with a bit of a shopping trip.  We only went grocery shopping but it was a fun trip.  Lunch and temple.  We got a lovely surprise today.  Jackie is the young cleaning lady.  She came to me the other night and asked if I liked ‘Downton Abbey.’  OF COURSE!  But I haven’t seen it since we arrived.  She brought me the first 5 seasons with the Christmas specials.  I was so excited.  I love the support staff and marvel everyday at how few we have and yet how much they do.  The grounds staff has about 3 – 5 working to take care of all these acres changing flowers all the time.  There are 4 custodians at the temple and they clean everything ship-shape for us. 
Anyway, we got our lovely surprise and after our shift – which is a bit late – we came home and watched our first.  This will answer a few questions for us as we never did see season 1.




 
5.  Dickens and Many Farms.
Today was a calm morning but Brad is not feeling well – his back is killing him.  He did go to the temple but came home early so they sent me home early as well.  As soon as Blake’s got home they came over and wondered if we wanted another Charles Dickens’s.  I said that Brad probably wasn’t up to it but Brad heard us and said yes and grabbed the stuff to set it up.  We decided to watch Bleak House.  Oh my, this one is interesting!  Well done, these.
I had an interesting post on face book today from Many Farms about one of our dear Navajo’s that we baptized, Evelyn Begay.  She was absolutely doing wonderful but then she stopped coming about 2 months later.  Her granddaughter, Tivona, was one of my top piano students.  Evelyn has been very ill and was asking about us so they asked us to call her.  We called and it was rather sad but very sweet.  She must have had something like a stroke and she can only make sounds something like a small scream.  We talked mostly to her daughter April, a bit to her, and finally to my Tivona. 


The chapel for Parliament.

6.  A laughing Callaghan
Brad is still really hurting but we had a very calm morning and then went to the temple. I was in clothing and he was leading the last instruction session of the day so they ask me to stay and help close.  Well, we were sitting there and I told Sister Brooke how I was related to my little sister.  My mother’s second husband’s first wife’s twin sister’s first daughter’s second husband’s first wife’s only daughter is Marilyn.  Brother Callaghan and the others thought I was crazy.  I then started explaining it with names and all the sudden Brother Callaghan said ‘Do I look like someone who cares?’  Everyone started laughing but he just lost it completely.  I think he was so surprised that he slammed me like that and he just couldn’t stop laughing.  He finally got up and went down the hall but he just couldn’t stop laughing and of course that made the rest of us laugh as well.  Meantime, Brad’s screen breaks in his room, so they move him which takes forever and then a lady passed out in the session so he was way late.  We thought we were going to watch another episode of Bleak House but it was just too late and we were too tired.  I tried to explain how funny Brother Callaghan was to Brad but he couldn’t get his head around how funny it was.


Not Idaho, but I am in heaven!

7.  Soup and Rolls.
We did sleep in a bit and then got up and ready for the temple.  It was a great day for me and Brad and his back endured best they could.  They actually let us both go home early.  I made some homemade soup and bread and rolls so we had a yummy tea.    We talked to Neil and Becca and the boys and had a great chat.  We watched a few more episodes of Bleak House with Blake’s and Roger’s and then we worked on our talks for a while.  This one is making us nervous.  I am going to tell the flood story and Brad is going to tell the wreck story. 
This horse bonded!

So there goes 38.  Here I am with the internet and working on my project and my talk and not doing anything about getting the blog going.  I do hope I can catch up some day as I have enjoyed some of the last outings and would love to show off some pictures.  Will power!  That and a bit more time.
Be organized, what need I say more?
Brush and floss,
Our love,
The Parkinson’s

 

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment