Thursday, February 5, 2015

Lessons from the Brits Week 30 November 30th to December 6th


Officially older than dirt.  Yes, another birthday has arrived and I am now 66 years old this morning.  Where has the time gone?  Actually I would have to say that I feel every year of it.  One day at a time!

LIE
Heat.  We have radiators in each room and ours are run on a timer.  It has been warm enough that we have never turned on the bedroom heater.  The bathroom is most unique.  Our towel rack has numerous bars and each of them is heated.  When you grab your towel in the morning, it is nice and warm.  You can hang things there to dry as well.  The closet for the hot water heater has racks in it to store and dry things there also.  Our clothes dryer takes forever so I always lay the towels in there after the first few minutes.  I also lay my slippers in there and when I get up or come home I have warm slippers to wear.  Lovely, just brilliant!













 


1.  Happy Birthday to me!
Yes, indeed; I had an early morning present.  This morning when I got up to take my old age loo break at 3:00 AM the fox was just under my window.  I watched her for a minute but when I came back she was gone.
Church had several birthday presents for me.  First, Brother Farhall came with his shortbread cookies.  Amazingly enough, he is allergic to flour and cannot eat them so he just makes them to see us smile.  I did!  Then Brother Dale came and asked Brad who his wife was.  He then presented me with a postcard copy of Flaunder’s Field.  It is beautiful and we are definitely planning on going there in March.  After church he redid the poem for us on video without background noise so it is much better.  Fun Day!
We had a pork roast for dinner and then laid down for a nap.  Wrong!  We no sooner got our eyes shut than the Brown’s came with a beautiful bouquet of flowers.  Now I am truly British.  The British still love their flowers at the table at all times.  We had a fun time talking but we never got around to playing a game like I knew they would have gladly done. 
That evening they had a sing along Christmas Carol night in front of the visitor’s center with our new nativity.  It is just lovely, but really – after Salt Lake and Mesa – it really isn’t much.  We all got a little battery candle and a bag of candy (another bday present).  There was a little girl next to me and as we would sing I would wave my candle like I was leading the music and she would go right with me.  Ahh, to be a Grandma.  President and Sister Crossland spoke afterwards and they were wonderful.  The planes kept right on flying overhead and they just worked them into their talks.
We went over to the dungeon and I got on internet to find that so many people had wished me a happy birthday on Facebook.  It was so fun.  We did call all 4 kids and my sister but I didn’t get my brothers.  I was having fits trying to respond to facebook as the ipad kept eating the emails and then I wanted to set up the advent calendars I purchased to send to family and friends since I am not around to do anything else and somehow this frustrated Brad and the advent calendars are not coming.  Night ended a bit low.


My gift from the Masih's.  More later!


Barbara, the birthday girl, and Robert Brown with my beautiful flowers.

.
Flanders's Field from Brother Sylvester.


A short bit of Brother Sylvester reciting Flanders's Field.
 
2.  St Paul’s
We slept in a bit and then we were up and ready for another day of fun and adventure.  We picked up Orton’s and headed to the train station.  At London we took the tube to St. Paul’s.  St. Paul’s is the first real Protestant Chapel as it was the first one built after The Church of England was established.  It burned to the ground in 1666 so it is mostly new.  That sounds a bit funny saying new to something built in the 1600’s as America was still establishing its first towns.  We had a wonderful tour guide and the church was very pretty.  You can go up the 367 stairs to see quite the view of London.  We felt bad it was a foggy day but it was still great.  I had a very nice time. 
Next we went to Covent Garden’s.  We ate at the Lion’s Head and had a great meal.  Orton’s checked the place out while we waited for a table.  Everyone had told us it would be a great place to stop as it was decorated so cute.  The street lights were really cute and one store had a nice tree but I thought there should be more.  Orton’s walked down the street and said there wasn't.  After tea we decided to walk down a bit just to make sure while they went to the rest room.  Well, when you walk down the street you can go into these 2 big doors.  We just peeked in and Holy Cow! You couldn't believe the place.  It had rows and rows of little shops and the place was decorated in hugs bulbs and candy canes and a huge tree at the end.  There was a huge sleigh with reindeer and all.  We all laughed about nothing to see!

We got on the tube and headed to Harrod’s.  After the stairs of St. Paul’s my companions were ready to call it a day so we just went through the food markets and bought some brownies and some chocolate.  Since they were ready to call it a day, we headed back to Victoria station where we catch the train and headed home.  Very nice day!  Loved everything.  Just always want a little more time and to see one more thing.


One outside view of Wren's St. Paul's.

A family of Oriental's that again, need to pose for a picture! 


We  joined in.  Jackie, Carolyn, and slide a quarter under my feet!

Two views from the 700 steps up! 

3. Harry’s
 It didn't break our hearts that we are on the late shift this week and we can sleep in.  The morning was spent in washing now that I can finally use my new washing machine.  The machine has 14 cycles but only one will work for me in under an hour. 
I finally got my birthday dinner that I have been craving – we had hamburger steaks with chips (French fries) and tons of gravy.  I was celebrating 50 years since being a teen-ager and eating at Harry’s.
 
 
 
 
 
 
More views from atop St. Paul's.

4. 5. 6;  Same Ol’
This week was just pretty ordinary.  We had no energy so we never exercised.  The temple was always fine.   Weather is getting chilly and seems to be raining a lot more.  We are reading good book that is getting intense which keeps us busy.  I have been trying to get to the dungeon to work on the internet but it doesn't seem to happen very long.  Boy, do I miss having that in my home.  I have no idea when it is going to happen but it has made my life miserable.







More from St. Paul's.
 
7.  A bit too hot!
The temple was fine today – busy enough and yet quite doable.  We had a pretty nice day but I didn't get to see many friends today.  It was so calm at the end that they let us do the last session for ourselves.
We were going to go out to eat but we didn't want to go to Toby’s and everyone that didn't go there was busy so we made our white chili.  I couldn't find chopped chili’s so we just put in some hot jalapeno’s and it dang near blew our heads off.  We picked out all the chili’s but it was a bit late.  We added some milk and with the cheese and sour cream it wasn't too bad.  Brad had an upset stomach anyway and so by the time he finished his chili we decided it was not a good idea to go to stake conference that night.




 

Ta-da!  Week 30 was rather simple with the only excitement being old age.  I was tickled about all my greetings and our home teachers brought us a box of candy.  And I got another trip to London which I love.  Brilliant!  Just lovely!







 
Covent Garden's!

 

Age is a state of mind!

Stay healthy,

Our love,

The Parkinson’s



 


Harrod's at Christmas 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment