Sunday, February 8, 2015

Lessons from the Brits Week 36 January 11th to January 17th


Dear me!  This week really was rather ordinary with not that many exciting things happening so get ready to be bored.  I guess this means life is getting back to normal but we will soon find a way to spice it up again.

LIE
Hot water kettles.  In every apartment there is this funny looking pitcher setting on a base with a plug in.  The other day I finally opened it up and had a look.  Inside is this big heating coil.  I put in a quart of water and plugged it in and had boiling (and I mean boiling) water in 2 ½ minutes.  Amazing!  I wonder how I can take one home.
This picture will also work for the plug in I didn't show a couple of weeks ago.
 

1. Yvonne Day!
Church at 10 AM gets earlier and earlier every single week.  Brad has to leave without me and I come dragging out at the last minute.  We went to Crawley and it was very nice.  Brother Farhall was there with cookies for us and we were delighted.
The minute we got home I started to cook for Yvonne’s birthday dinner.  I made a buttermilk pie, cooked cabbage, carrots, beet root and green beans.  Brad baked salmon and we had a feast.  They brought sparkling water and we ate till we were about to burst.  She was very happy with her birthday dinner. (her birthday is Tuesday but we did it on a day we had the time.)
We finished in time to go the President and Sister Johnson’s fireside at the visitor’s center.  That was terrific – President Johnson always says he is terrific so that was their theme.  After that we tried to call the children but we are not adjusting to new church times very well.


We love the Blake's.  Isn't she just precious? 

2.  Lakenheath Air Force Base
Brad had a long nap while I cooked and he could not go to sleep.  At 4 AM I woke up to so we got up and read a while and we just couldn’t get to sleep until about 6:00 AM.  At 7:10 AM we woke up and we were supposed to leave at 7:30.  We got ready as fast as we could and we on the road by 8 AM.
Bryant and Arlene Davis are taking us to Lakenheath Air Force Base.  He was a chaplain in the military so he can go to American air bases.  He was going to see a Dr. there and we were there to look for American food.  Yes, we found it!  Cube steaks to make Swiss steak and cake mixes and muffin mixes, maple syrup, shrimp cocktail sauce and chopped green chilies.  It was a wonderful day.  We packed the car full and headed home.  The drive was about 2 ½ hours one way so it was a bit of a long day but we made it home around 3.  We took a nap.
The Blake’s came over and we did a bit of Wii which they got a big kick out of.

The bridge over the Thames. 
One way you go over and the other way you go under the river in a tunnel.

3.  To Work!
We are on late shift and I personally think I would have died if it had been early.  I do think Brad walked today but while I can now walk normally again, we are still a bit worried about my feet.  We had a busy day at the temple and being on late’s, we didn’t get home till after 9. 
We bought a few things for Orton’s at the air base so they came over to get them.  Then Yvonne came down and we gave her a birthday present.  Brad called it the long bomb pass.  We are giving them our Wii when we leave England as you cannot plug it in America.  She was gob stopped.

4.  Comedy of Errors
The first errand of Wednesday was to pick up my new shoes.  They are wonderful and I do hope they help my poor little feet.
Wednesday just seemed to go a bit askew.  We got the first instruction session under way and the film stopped.  We moved to another room and the screen just went up and down making hideous noises as it did.  We finally went to a third room and then we couldn’t start the film where it needed to be.  There was nothing for us to do but laugh.  Then a woman needed a drink of water and we were out of cups.  Another woman lost her glasses and I finally found them and gave them to one man who gave them to her husband.  Her husband never told her and she was looking for her glasses.  I bent down to tie my shoe and completely missed my part.  We just couldn’t get control of that day.

5.  Hot Cocoa
Thursday we had a wonderful time shopping and Brad got a work out hat and I got a new sweater.  We also indulged in another Costa hot cocoa.  It was really a fun little shopping trip.
With coming home late we are beat so we fixed us a bit of a snack and then read our book.  I love Hosseni’s writing but he is a bit depressing.  I guess living in Afghanistan with war after war; life might be a bit more depressing.  God Bless America and God save the Queen!

6.  Late Night
We did get up and Brad went out to do a bit of exercise and I showed Blake’s how to do Wii fit. 
The temple is our long day as we do one more instruction session Friday evenings so we don’t get home till after 10 but it was a bit busier at the temple today so it felt good.  We finished our book which I had hoped would have a bit happier ending but it did end with the importance of family.  Nice!

7.  Happy Birthday Becca!
By the time we walked to the temple at 9:30 AM the parking lot was fun and cars/coaches were still streaming in.  We did over 350 patrons through instruction sessions so we felt pretty good.  Everywhere in the temple they were swamped so we were all excited but completely exhausted by the end. (5 PM)
We had talked about going out but Brad suggested driving to Oxted and I didn’t want to go that far in the dark.  I guess I choose wrong because that meant I had to cook.  We had spaghetti.  Mulholland’s called and wanted to play cards but we asked them over to play Wii.  Rayton’s came in also so we had six of us but we had a pretty good time.  We did the gun range, air hockey, cow races, golf and bowling.  And of course we had to make our Wii’s.  Most of us look pretty good but Brian Mulholland is hilarious.
After they left we went over to call Becca for her birthday but we could only get Neil.  At least we tried.  Home and to bed; long day but quite a good one I do believe.

And there goes week 36.  I would have to say things are moving right along.  They told us we need to turn in our papers if we want to tour during our March break so we have been trying to pick out somewhere to go.  Brad only request is that it is somewhere warm.  How about Mesa then?

Be tender to all, what need I say more?

Change your socks,

Our love,

The Parkinson’s

 

No comments:

Post a Comment