Saturday, February 7, 2015

Lessons from the Brits Week 35 January 4th to January 10th, 2015


Goodness me!  I guess the holidays are over and we are back to a 5 day a week sshhedule.  (I will never get use to that word over here.)  This week was early shift as well, so we really had to be one our toes.  We are still in baptistery and morning shifts don’t usually have too many so that was better but they are always good at finding something for us to do.  Better busy than bored, I always say!

LIE
Electricity:  These plug ins are almost scary.  Three huge prongs to plug in and then of course you have a switch above it that actually turns the plug in on.  They must be getting a lot more electricity than at home because it starts with a real burst.

1.  East Grinstead
Mulholland’s were released from their primary job so we thought we would visit other wards.  East Grindstread is much closer so we started there.  I have a student that took Fitness for Life from me in about 1997 that is in that ward.  She is Corinne Ellsworth ?, originally from Lewisville, Idaho.  We had a fun day a church.  The teacher is a black woman that was a Muslim and she certainly has a testimony of Jesus Christ.
Tea was small today since we are still exploding from all the holidays.  We bought some Jalapeño poppers at Costco so we put in a few of them – we are now addicted to them.  They are brilliant.  We ate about a gillion but took the last 2 we had cooked down to Bob.  (Barbara has real stomach trouble and must be on a very bland diet so we thought he would enjoy some heat.)   We called family, rested and read. 




Roger's progress.
2.  Package Day
Neil, Becca, Ty, and Gus sent us a Christmas package which arrived in London on the 24th of December.  Every day we run to the mail area to see if it came.  This morning I called first and we had a package so I headed over but it was a new pair of shoes for Brad and a second hand Wii we bought on Ebay.  We had to come home and open it up to see what kind of batteries we needed and suddenly it was set up and we were golfing and doing Wii fit with Blake’s.  We finally did get to the grocery store for some milk and bread.  That evening Blake’s invited us to watch a Charles Dickens’s with them so we started Martin Chuzzlewitts  but only made it through the first of 5 disks.  Now this one has a yarn going as the Brits would say. 


 

 


Callaghan's and Blake's watch on as Brad demonstrates the Wii.
3.  Screaming Foxes
This morning started very early as around 5 AM there was very loud screaming coming from the back yard.  I tried to ignore it but finally I had to get up and look.  They was a fox all huddled down in the back of the yard just screaming its head off.  Then a red fox came from the front just under Roger’s window and headed out.  The white one ran away and then when the other fox was gone came out to rummage through the grass.  Crazy!
I went to check out the place and see if there was any laundry to put up.  Hummm!  We had a baptistery fairy (or lead mare) show up over the weekend.  She had redone the closet for us.  I was a bit confused but by the time I had the whole story and explained it to Sister Callaghan she was rather upset.  Stewardships are rather interesting and staying within your own stewardship is a very good idea.
We didn’t have any baptisms scheduled but a couple came down with just 2 names to do.  Brother Callaghan had 52 to do so we just did them all.  The sister that came was a bit older and frail so I did 14 female baptisms and Sister Reed came and did 10. Brad and Brother Orton did 30.  It was great! 
After our shift Brother Orton and Sister Freeman had a few names to do so we stayed to do them as well.  Sister Clark came with about 30 names, and then a Brother Duri came with 20 names and then Sister Powell came with I don’t know how many and we didn’t get home until 6 PM.  By the time it was over, Brad had baptized about 90 people during the day.  Very long day but great fun.
We had a rushed tea and then I went to the dungeon to work on the blog.  Long night as well.

4.  On Line Social Security!
Today was calm day with no baptistery so they sent us on a session.   It was very nice so our day at the temple went very well.
I had registered on line for social security to start November 30th before we left on our mission.  They called us in Salt Lake to tell me I couldn’t register 6 months early so I would either have to start at a reduced rate then or what and register on line.  We opted to register on line.  That I did and all was well until we noticed I never got a payment.  I looked forever for my registration number and couldn’t find it so we went over to the dungeon and called them.  JOY!  I had to wait on hold for 45 minutes listening to their music and announcements.  Finally a man answers and he doesn’t give me my registration number but keeps looking at my form and telling me I have a lot of information on it.  Twice he says let me check and leaves us for about 5 minutes.   The third time he never comes back but we can hear all these people talking and laughing and all the sudden the call goes to an on line survey of whether we had a good experience with the call.  To make that worse, it needed a touch tone phone and your ipad doesn’t have one!  They kept asking the same questions over and over and finally Brad hung up on them.  Now we get to try the call again.  2nd JOY!  This time there is an hour wait and that music is starting to really annoy us.  After an hour a woman comes on and my raised voice is explaining that she better not hang up or put me on hold until I have a number or some way of getting help without an hour wait.  I explain what is happening and that I am in London trying to register on line but I lost my number and cannot see what the problem is.  She first tells me I didn’t finish the application which I assure her I did.  She then tells me if I don’t have my number I must start over anyway although she is looking at my application and can tell me all about it.  THEN she tells me that the application is of no use since I am living in London they won’t process it and we will have to go to the London Embassy for help.  WHAT????  She gives us an Idaho Falls Social Security number so we call them.  Yipper – same story.  If you don’t live in the jurisdiction area you must go to the London Embassy and apply there.  Idaho address, paying taxes in Idaho,  asking for money to go to Idaho bank but they won’t accept my on line registration.  It is now 8 PM and we are starving and so angry we can hardly walk. 
We get home and have another small tea and then we watch 2 more disks of Martin ?  I tell you that yarn really has us going.  We were so frustrated with the social security and then so tied up in the movie it was an unsettling night.

5.  Shopping Day
It was another very calm day at the temple.  !@#$%^&*()_   We decided to see if our package was there and it was not but we did get our money back from 3.  For some reason we decided to go on the shopping van and that ended up a very long night.  We did a little clothes shopping and bought some books, a shirt and some necklaces at a charity shop, then tried to deposit our check but the bank closes at 4:30 and then got a hot choco while the others shopped at the second grocery store.  One of the sister’s sat and had hot cocoa with us and then when we were supposed to leave she went shopping.  Long night. 
Another crazy tea but we were bound and determined to finish Martin.  We went through 3 disks and what a yarn it did spin.  We spent half the night talking about all the crazy things in the movie.

6.  Happy Birthday Neil!
Wow, did it ever seem early this morning.  We still didn’t have a baptistery but there was some laundry from the other shift.  We went on a session which was very nice.
On the way home I checked for our package and it did arrive.  They sent us cookie mixes, candy and pictures from the boys.  Gus’s has the family drawn with ‘Love You’ coming from every mouth.  Ty’s says: I know that you miss me and I miss you too, but I still have your comforting feeling in my heart.  (and on skype)  I love you as much as the earth and universe and the space and the heaven.  Love, Ty Parkinson.  Then he drew us a reindeer.  Okay – we had a good cry at that one!
I baked bread and made potato soup and we were in a bit of heaven other than it was rather late by the time it was all finished.  The rest of the night was playing Wii golf.  Brad creamed me the first round but I got him one stroke the second.  Book and bed!



Our package from home!!!
 

7.  EARLY!
We had an 8 AM baptistery.  I wouldn’t have believed it but they were there and a bit early to boot.  It was a nice group and all went very well.  We had a bit of time to clean up and set up for the second group and they were wonderful as well.  I was getting the names and a young man wrote in HOLT.  I asked where he was from and realized he is Jennifer South’s nephew so we had great fun.  His dad was there with him so we had a fun chat.  Great day in baptistery.  The rest of the day went rather well and we actually got home a bit early.
I was beat and my feet hurt so bad I just wanted to rest but when we called the movie was ‘African Queen’ so we had to go.  It was great!  We came home and played some Wii golf, read and bed.

And there you have it – Week 35 marched right along.  We got a package from home, a Wii, watched a Charles Dickens and we are reading Khaled Hosseni’s  And the Mountains Echoed.  What a cultural experience this week was for us.  Cheers!

Come what may, and love it!

Eat your veggies,

Our love,

The Parkinson’s

 

No comments:

Post a Comment